Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Top Ten Movie Lines.

Disclaimer: The following post reflects the individual opinion of the Author alone and is in no way related to general public opinion or any other poll conducted by any other reputed agency (Oh god, I'm crapping!)


10. Terminator 1,2 AND 3!

"I'll be back"

ONLY because no ranking of movie lines is complete without this! Personally I think it is the dumbest, most cliched, most meaningless line ever uttered... but it ROCKS ;)

9. Jerry Maguire

"Show me the money"

If ever there was a case where an actor got an Oscar for uttering a single line, THIS has to be it. Though one must admit, Cuba Gooding Jr. was excellent in that movie. It is almost an injustice to give him a Supporting Actor Oscar there... Best Actor would've been fairer.

8. Good Morning, Vietnam

"Gooooood Morning Vietnam!"

No other reason except for the fact that this is one of the lines which is just stuck in my head. This is where the disclaimer is applied in its fullest...

7. Apollo 13

"Houston, we have a problem."

Apart from becoming one of the most used AND most misused line of its times, I love this line simply for the number of wisecracks it spawned. For example, imagine the people on Apollo 13 were watching an asteroid heading right towards the earth. What would they have said? "Houston, YOU have a problem!"

6. Casablanca

"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

This dialogue is the epitome of lying with a straight face. Humphrey Bogart just skips from line to line, or rather, lie to lie with a face as serious as Ganguly reacting to his loss of captaincy...

5. Gladiator

"Fratres! Three weeks from now I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!!!
Brothers:
What we do in Life echoes in Eternity...."


A monologue which has remained etched in time since the third time I saw Gladiator, and which I say along with Russel Crowe everytime I saw the movie again (currently on 9 times...)

4. A Few Good Men

"You want answers?"
"I want the truth."
"You can't handle the truth!"

A small part of the long court scene in the movie, and a favourite monoacting piece as well. Though it has to be said, no one can pull off the Jack Nicholson part...

3. Godfather

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse"

The line which went from the book to the movie and which has been immortalized by Marlon Brando in that unbelievable role as Godfather...

2. Spiderman

"Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, with great power, comes great responsibility. This is my gift, this is my curse. Who am I? I'm Spiderman."

A very meaning-filled dialogue... or rather monologue. I have had the same thought myself, of course, not about having Spider-Powers, but about other things...

1. Gladiator

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance -- in this life or the next."

Ok, so I'm obsessed with this movie. Go ahead, shoot me.


I have three exams in a row coming up from tomorrow. I find myself not caring a bit.

"I loathe myself" - Chandler Bing.

18 comments:

Shazz said...

Too Late! I said it first! :)

I bet Gobaz is going to be a bit more cautious while commenting on this one. ;)

Shazz said...

I meant that i said the exam thing first.

And i'd like to point out that i heard a good percentage of those remarks yesterday evening. No point, just mentioning it. Coincidence... I think not!

AG said...

Lets see.. I too have 3 exams coming up..
1. English - No one cares a damn..
2. ID - 0/1300 slides done.. And ducky has probably done 500 by now? ..
3. Applied Mechanics - Less said the better..!!
4. Im going for Abdul Kalam's inauguration tomorrow.. And that's gonna take up my precious morning.. Morning sleep i meant..NOT morning mug!
5. I dont know what sense these 5 sentences make..
6. Rather 6 now..
7. THIS MAKES SENSE - You shudve tagged me da!! I wud've surely responded ;)..
8. Ani - hmph.. he he..

SpankMac said...

oi, where's "frankly my dear, i don't give a damn."

(didn't read the post fully but didn't see it either so..)

Ducky said...

Anirudh,
Ok, so you're the man...

Gobaz,
Big Diff... I TAG YOU. There, go ruin your CG ;)

Spanks,
Yeah I thought of that... but it's become a line which I only use too much now ;) Lost its charm!

Manasi Subramaniam said...

My personal favourite:

"Say we get into the cage
and through the security doors... down the eleyator we can't move... past the guards with the guns, into the yauIt we can't open--"

"And not seen by cameras."

"-Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yeah, well, say we do all that... we're just supposed to walk out of there with $ million without getting stopped?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Okay."

- Ocean's Eleven

AG said...

nope.. too late.. wont accept ur tag.. Jus gave up on ID.. totally!

Ducky said...

Manasi,
PLEASE. I know that is Ocean's Eleven... Indeed, the movie has QUITE a different significance in my life ;)

Gobaz,
OH NO! YOU WON'T ACCEPT MY TAG... I WAS TOO LATE! WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW!!!

AG said...

naaaka pudingindu saavu po.. and the world now needs to absorb the waste it generates now that it has already reproduced the resources it has consumed.. it will give the detritus some activity and we can continue the food chain..ga ga ga

Shazz said...

Hey dude, ease up on poor Gobaz.

He's not able to take your blistering comebacks and basically romba tension not good before ApMech exam.

Ah yes! I remember Ocean's Eleven. An excellent movie marred forever by that thing they call a 'sequel'.

Shazz said...

Now the point of this comment was to suggest a similar list of F.R.I.E.N.D.S' dialogues when the enormity of the task occured to me. Picking TEN out of ALL those brilliant lines seems like too much work. I'd rather sit back and enjoy them all.
And how's your chandler-style jokebook going? Or did you forget abt it by the end of the conv.

Ducky said...

Ah yes, Oceans's Twelve... now, what do I remember from the movie... more specifically, abut the interval. Oh ya, lemme see, switching seats, breaking, falling... ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, Jokebook coming up... more like a joke Diary, they just seem to flow better with the exams!

"24 hrs from now, I will be starting a movie Marathon. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so!" - Modified Maximus!

Raytracer said...

Hey just fyi... Gladiator's coming on tv.... IN TAMIL!!!! (we'll get some quotable quotes from that for sure!)
*DONT U MISS IT*

Suze said...

Watch Gandhi kid.

".. So according to the new act, your wives and mothers are whores.. and every man here is a bastard"

its an amazing movie!

and i agree to almost all the lines. excpet, jerry maguire gets the award for also cheesiest line ever :

"You had me at hello"

and the best one i've heard

"You make me wanna be a better man" - As good as it gets

Suze said...

oh.. and,
the best movie line ever :

After hearing a long and complicated execution of a plan described by the brains of the heist,

"What was the middle thing"

- Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda

Anonymous said...

I think you gotto add silence of the lambs..haa haa..

Ducky said...

Suze,
There is a movie called "A fish called Wanda"??? Right... Didn't know that ;)

CB Man,
He he, yeah... "I'm having an old friend for dinner"!!!

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Useless. A Fish Called Wanda was one of the great Monty Python hits. Well, not exactly. But it had the Python guys in it.

Oh and my favourite non-movie line: "This is an ex-python." - John Cleese at Graham Chapman's funeral. :-)