Monday, November 21, 2005

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

The thing about dreams is that they are such double-edged swords. I am of course talking about ACTUAL dreams, the things that come in the night when you are in your REM sleep... not the "I dream of owning a HUGE house some day" kind. Those I would call aspirations or hopes or wishes or fantasies or any other n number of words that Roget's Thesaurus can throw up for dreams.

But anyway, getting back to why Dreams are such double-edged swords... As long as you are IN them, or HAVING them you are all happy and contented. (Again, if you are in dreams that do NOT make you hapy and all, I would classify them nightmares, so I ain't talking about THEM either.) You are playing out what you always wanted to be, topper guy, knight-in-shining armour, football player, secret agent... whatever. And all the details appear so very vividly that it's like you're watching this extremely well made movie with you in the lead role and you feel extremely satisfied inside. (Again, I don't know how this is possible. I mean, you are ASLEEP, so how can you FEEL anything??? And yet, when I wake up, I distinctly remember running through a gamut of emotions during the dream...)

And then of course, you're up and awake and everything vanishes in the small instant of opening your eyes. And then the depressing reality dawns upon you that it was a dream after all... AGAIN! I mean, you've had so many by now that you would hope that at least ONE of them would turn out to be true, turn out with the perfect storyline as the dream promised but NO! It always ends in a vague babble of words and thoughts and that shrill ring of the alarm in your ear. For a moment you are feeling very low, as if you had been promised heaven and then had it taken away just as you were entering it. But then you shake your head, realise that such excitement and perfection as was portrayed in the dream would never be possible in real life and swing your legs out of bed to throw yourself into another day in the drab, everyday world...

If you're wondering what prompted this post, yes, I had a wonderful dream yesterday night... Perfect setting, story, ending etc... and then I woke up!

11 comments:

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Er... dare I ask?

Ducky said...

Nice Try I'm elaborating (If I were, I woulda done it on the post). Of course, it was PRETTY elaborate stretching over QUITE a long time period.

SpankMac said...

what was the dream :)

yeah this happens many times da, for me the last time it happened was a few days ago.. i was at home (in the dream).

AG said...

blog after blog after blog.. super form you're in!! :-)

Ducky said...

Hey Kartik Man... nice to hear from you... He he, Dharik said you were in quite a daze after the CATastrophe ;). That bad, huh?

AG said...

That's another maiden title or something??

Anonymous said...

I actually had a doubt regarding this from quite a long time..'Can you dream that you're dreaming'..er..in other words, can u dream in a dream..??

Ducky said...

Ajit,
No... this was my own creation. Besides the Blog Header is only Maiden-INSPIRED, first line of "Fear of the Dark", not a title by itself...
CB Man,
Good doubt... I dunno :)

Shazz said...

Whoa Whoa! Lay of the pressure you big freak of nature! I'll do it... just don't push me. We 'artistes' have to take our time. You can't rush genius. Besides, i kinda woke up late today. :)

Anonymous said...

the irony of dreams are that they seem just within your reach and then vamoosh.gone.the sense of longiness ofthe dream is painfull aint it.in fact i curse my damn roome/warden for waking me up.why?why oh why that it seems that just when your get what your longing for some mofo(pardon the language)wakes you up.i suppose it is the differnce between what you want to be and what you are.
p.s:nice blog.i also like cb's.oh and im dhariks cuz of some sort .thats how i stumbled on all these blogs.

Ducky said...

Dharik's cuz of some sort...
Thanks man, I try to keep the blog interesting :)

I TOTALLY agree about the part where someone ELSE wakes you up! COME ON people, gimme a break, lemme at least finish a DREAM!!! :)