Thursday, December 08, 2005

Love, Passion and Disgust.

It started 6 years ago… this love affair of mine. I remember it was my umpteenth school for just my Eighth Standard. It was a new place, a new system with new people around. Being the new guy was an ‘old’ thing for me. I had been new guy 7 times before, so this was nothing new. But what I always did first to get over this new guy thing was to find something… someone to hold on to. And that’s when this happened…

We started off on a high. I liked everything I knew, saw or heard about ‘my’ one (And let’s just stick to that, shall we? We’ll call my one… My one… MO… ok?). So anyway, it was love at first encounter. I’m not sure however, if the feeling was reciprocated. I wouldn’t be surprised if even my existence was even unknown to MO. I mean, MO was popular beyond measure, filled with success and on an elated high… surely there would be more than one admirer!

The love grew over the years and as the seasons flew past, our lives became more intertwined. I got to know more and more about MO and my love just turned to passion. I would do my best to make sure we spent as much time as possible together, that all my Saturday Nights were scheduled around MO’s convenience… it was an affair like none other and passion was an irreplaceable part of our affair.

But the old adage “Familiarity Breeds Contempt” was not said for nothing. It takes only a very small time… an hour or an hour and a half for all that you believe in to crumble into dust… for Passion to turn into Disgust and then Despair. It was a late night date, post-dinner when it happened. We started off like usual, on a passionate high. MO gave me a gift, a surprise so joyous that it made me sit up and focus my entire attention. But from there, it was just downhill all the way that night. First, the gift was cruelly taken away and then MO did some very uncharacteristic things that I simply turned away in disgust, asking myself if THIS was the one I had been so passionate about, around whom I had built my evenings… As the night drew to a close, the disgust turned to despair and this was then replaced by a numbing calmness… a resignation to fate…

I’m not saying it’s all over between MO and me… Sure, AC Milan might be the highest-ranked team in FIFA 2005, and their back four of Maldini, Nesta, Stam and Cafu might be practically impenetrable. Sure, Chelsea might be a bunch of talented individuals who have clicked together like well-oiled machinery thanks to their Manager. Sure, Arsenal might play oh-so-wonderful one-touch football at times that you wonder how they fail to score at all… And SURE, there might be ONLY ONE KEANO…

But that does not mean my love affair with Manchester United will end. One small setback in a club of champions and championships will not be enough to turn me away from Man Utd. forever… Oh no…

GLORY, GLORY MAN UNITED!

Epilogue: Benfica 2-1 Man Utd. This scoreline meant that Man Utd failed to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champs League for the first time in 10 seasons. George Best would’ve turned in his grave, remembering the Benfica 1-4 Man Utd match, which made Manchester United The European Champions then… How ironic is life!

16 comments:

Manasi Subramaniam said...

I shall KILL you. You had me all curious and wondering throughout the first part. And you KNOW what all possibilities I would have come up with inside my head. Pah. Useless. I may even cancel our pact now. Pffft. And boy am I GLAD I didn't know you so well back then!

CB said...

dae dae..oru nimushathikku bayamurthi ta da..huhhhhhhhhh...fast read i should say..

Ducky said...

THANKS you two... THAT was the idea ;)

And Manasi, why you glad you didn't know me then??? I was the same ma... flesh, blood and ducky**** ;)

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Were you as much of a ducky **** then as you are now? I doubt it. And anyway. I'm sure I would have had a lot less patience with all the weird sporty obsessions then than I do now. And I can guarantee that we would never have had SUCH profound conversations in the past, **** or no ****! :-)

Shazz said...

I KNEW IT! The moment you started off, i knew it had to be something like that(the recent craze brought f.r.i.e.n.d.s to mind).
Like media shy Anand is going to spill his guts on a public blog! No way! Don't get me wrong, i'd be thrilled if he spilled about some old flame. But if the flame was old, it'd have to involve a sad ending. so on the whole, it'll do if you tell me when you get married. Cheerio!

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Haha! Sorry, Anand, but I cannot resist this one. You will tell me also, won't you, when you get married? :-)

Shazz said...

Well... the way its going, when he does get married, it'll probably be someone you set him up with. ;)

Dude, this is not to say that your abilities are anything short of brilliant, its just that if it happens in the next couple of years, its probably her doing. ;)

Manasi Subramaniam said...

You give me too much credit, dear, and you give him too little.

Abhi! said...

Ha ha! Yes, anand, I am disgusted! Pissed!! and any other feeling you can think of! No excuse for the performance against Benfica. Din't want to post on the blog! Din't even read the reports/post match interviews etc from that game! We have to win the league now! especially with chelsea grinding out 1 nils!!

Shazz said...

You really don't have any work do you? Thats a pretty fast reply. Anyway, the point was to get a rise out of Anand, which of course I didn't really expect to work.

So i hope to see you in bangalore next weekend dude. Later.

SpankMac said...

shit how painful that match was man.. yeah that 6th minute one was good. and then full tuss puss only.

(btw i didn't know that the george best game was also with benfica. i just knew he'd helped manu in some 4-1 game..)

i wonder what porto fans will be thinking about their team.. :)

Ankita DJ said...

heh heh..quacky ducky..nice one..too good...
keep up the passionate love...(but not much..i dont want the glass to get all steamy n all..clear vision is a muzt for us..!!)
ciao

Ducky said...

Abhi,
Yeah man... got Friggin pained! They just couldn't SCORE!!! GAWD!

Spanks,
6th minute amazing goal no? Fullback coming through, Central Midfielder running in, perfect FIFA move ;). What, German grade? :)

DJ,
Welcome to the blogging world!!! And I don't wear glasses, so no problem of steaming ;)

AG said...

quit fifa and blog no!

Hariharan said...

anand i think i know u too well to hav been fooled by the start.. (i am in no way insulting the intelligece of the peoplr who were.. ;) ) and well frankly man u sucks..

S said...

never get to see the matches!! no STB..bah!! catch results online or hear from abhi...read benfica online...disgusted!! but like you...love MANU thru it all!! :D