Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So Long, and Thanks for all the 'Oh Fish!'

I was reading my blogger archives yesterday. I don't know how/why I got there, but very appropriately I had landed on the post I had written right after last Saarang. Apart from the usual banter about Saarang and nothing coming out of it, I've been pretty funny in parts, if I've not reached the absolute nadir of sadness in saying so myself. And now, one year down the line, that post has made me realize something. Slightly scary maybe, but a revelation which had to come, and better sooner than later. I am not the person who wrote that post.

Sure, the world is changing and it inexorably causes everyone in it to do so as well. There is this rise of Mega(goog)lomania, that omnipresent brainchild of Brin&Page that is now an integral part of every corner of web space that you'll ever visit. There is the plummeting cost of Cell phones and service providers that the average cell phone density in an area might be more than the human density itself. There is the fact that one reality show with a small bit of controversy can make front page news for a whole week while ISRO's recoverable satellite thing (Well, there were not enough details! I know Jade Goody's biography by-heart though) gets one corner of the third page. There is the fact that George Bush is sending more troops to Iraq. No wait, not that.

So with all these changes imposing themselves on the average human being, it is only natural that the person also change. But in my case the change has been much greater than what could be put down as normal updating. It's a paradigm shift, or rather paradijim shift, as a famous singer who came to judge LM group finals at Saarang put it. Without doubt, this past one year has done, taught, created, destroyed and shown more for me than the 19 preceding ones. And I am glad for it.

This was supposed to be a post on what happened at Saarang '07. For me in particular, and the world in general. But I found to my dismay that I simply couldn't put my finger on what to write about, leave alone the question of how. That is something new, I haven't had too much difficulty thinking of a topic to write about. At least I'd have a vague idea of what my point was, though I admit, most times I don't have one. This post is merely an amoeba in my head, a germ of an idea (pun unintended). Shapeless, pointless, and waiting to go wherever its pseudopoda take it. In this case, my fingers on this over-abused keyboards. And it's going nowhere.

So, Saarang 2007 was good, I guess. Though my personal opinion might be heavily biased, due to a lot of reasons. It was cut down to four days from the usual five, thanks to he-who-must-not-be-named. And then all the usual brouhaha happened, events, professional shows, workshops blah. I'm tired of writing about Saarang. And about the melange of events and the kaleidoscope of feelings and the ultimate concoction of cultures which eventually makes Saarang, Saarang. Cliched so much that I want to puke. I also wanted to puke after I went sleepless on one night this Saarang too. But my stomach held its own and I pulled through the next day comfortably. Comfortably Numbly in fact.

Leave all that. The one year between Saarang 2006 and Saarang 2007, what has it left me with? Agony. Elation. Ecstacy. Joy. Depression. Frustration. Anger. Satisfaction. Jealousy. Hope. Fear. Calmness. Surprise. Shock. Craving. Boredom. Bliss. All of the above, surely. And then a bit more, which none of these can encompass.

There are somethings which words can't explain. For everything else, there's Wikipedia.

50 Posts. I'm the man.


5 comments:

CB said...

Same here da macha!
Yesterday in CAT class, the lady asked for ten adjectives to describe Saarang. And I was speechless for a minute or so!

m@verick said...

About Saarang..all said and done,quiet true...but u fared pretty well at the JAM didn't u ??Belated Congrats..:-)

Ducky said...

CB,
Adjectives can't describe Saarang. It's an abstract concept. Like art :P

Preeti,
I fared pretty well at JAM, yes. Thanks :)

Shazz said...

modesty, modesty... :) Tell us how much you made fer the jam da... i only heard ranjiv's thing... on an unconnected topic... wazaaa??

Prashanth said...

thank you da... all i had to read for 2 days was google news.... the most punny thing i read there was "astronaut accused of flighty behaviour" or something of the kind... btw you were right it was read in one sitting :)