Saturday, July 23, 2005

Impulse

Impulse is actually quite a significant, if unnoticed, term in the realms of dynamics. Mostly used in Rocketry and other such things way beyond the comprehension of the average man, it is defined as the product of Average Force and the Time… or is it the quotient??? GAWD, I am forgetting everything I learnt… KNEW college was a bad idea!

But then, this is MY page and so I WILL NOT talk about such unholy things such as Physics and Mechanics and other such stuff that, the society has decided, are very important for an Engineer to know. So what IS the impulse that I have given as a heading so grandly at the top of the page… yeah, I meant that totally indefinable characteristic of humans which makes them do weird stuff at weird times, some things which their logical mind would have dismissed as outright crazy.

From my observations of the above defined indefinable property, the conclusions are that an impulsive action is one which you do by listening to your heart and not your mind. Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense, I know. But that’s all it is… really.

In a normal scheme of things, the heart DOES have the first say in everything we do. But, it’s the mind, the logical, scheming, rationalizing, devilish part of us, which has the second, third and so on till the FINAL say. So the body does what the brain commands it to and we all remain holier-than-thou, doing the thing that…well, SHOULD be done, as defined by practice or law or society or whatever.

The impulsive act, however, does not allow time for the mind to think. The heart says, and wham, it’s done! Everyone would have done it at some point in their life. Just doing something for the heck of it…. Like, I wanna do it and so WILL do it. The other day, it was raining like there was no tomorrow and I had just finished watching FRIENDS. So, jobless as I am, I sat by the window and watched the rain pelting down on the asphalt. And then suddenly, I just got up, walked out of my house, walked through the rain till the gate of my apartments and walked back in. More than enough! I was drenched to the skin, my hair was a wet mess and my clothes were stuck to me like I was born with them or something, like Karna. Did all that matter? NO! I had just done what I had wanted to do, and I felt very pleased with myself.

There are many other things which I have done on an impulse, totally shutting out the voices in my head screaming “What are you doing?” and “DON’T!!!!!!!!!” So far I’ve not had to regret any of them. Of course, none of them have been earth-shaking events which decided the future of this planet. But still, so far, my mind has not had the opportunity to tell me “Ha, I told you!” And even if there came such an occasion, where an impulsive action could have been avoided in favour of the logical, rational one, well, I don’t think I would care. For I would be secure in the thought that for that one moment at least, I had set aside all the complicated thought processes rushing through my head, and simply followed my heart…

7 comments:

Ducky said...

yeah, I know... I myself felt it vaguely uncomfortable at points, like I was leaving loose ends. I wasn't quite concentrating on it, i think...

Manasi Subramaniam said...

I personally would rather leave all the thinking to my brain, on account of the fact that my heart is pretty stupid in most cases. The brain probably will not let you regret anything. Whereas the heart will.

Ducky said...

Yeah, I know the heart might let you regret sommething... but it IS YOUR heart, ain't it??? C'mon... give it some leeway...

Anonymous said...

Anand DO NOT listen to what mansi and pratyush have said.. keep blogging uselessly like this.. And are u sure the entire post was not about me??? cos my entire life flashed before my eyes when i read it.. Ah impulse there, Oh impulse then.. :-)

Shazz said...

romba aasai padaade akshay. its entirely about anand. anand's is a multi-faceted personality that one can never truly compehend
(minus one of the treats that i owe you, for that line... i hope)

anyway, i'm afraid i can never be impulsive, except for small things of no consequence. anand can testify that, for more important things, my brain kicks in and hits the brakes! so the height of impulsiveness would be... bunking a class, or something inane like that.

Ducky said...

Aactually yeah, Ani's right. Though I must admit, the impulsive me HAS grown with Akshay around ;) So, both of you are right. Yeah Ani, i know you are GIVAPP with this impulse thing.

AG said...

im late in commenting abt anand's 'impulse' blog but the word has kinda become a mania wih me of late... It brings out the hidden thoughts in ALL of us, not only aks and ani..:) Keep going Ducky !!